Tongue ties, also known as ankyloglossia, may seem like a small issue, but they can have surprisingly big impacts on speech, feeding, and even sleep. While a frenectomy is often the first step, the journey doesn’t end there. Enter the speech pathologist with orofacial myology expertise, your secret weapon in navigating the post-frenectomy world.
Why choose an orofacial myology-trained speech-language pathologist?
Orofacial myology-trained Speech-language pathologists specialize in the muscles, structures, and functions of the face and mouth, giving them an in-depth understanding of how tongue ties affect these systems. Think of them as the mechanics of the oral cavity, able to diagnose and treat the root causes of speech and feeding difficulties related to tongue ties.
What can they do?
- Assessment: They can assess the severity of the tongue tie and its impact on speech, feeding, and oral posture.
- Exercises: They can prepare your child for the frenectomy by improving tongue coordination.
- Wound healing: They can guide you through wound care and stretches to prevent scar tissue formation and maximize healing.
- Myofunctional therapy: This specialized therapy helps retrain tongue movements.
- Speech therapy: They can address specific speech sound errors that may have arisen due to the tongue tie, such as lisps or difficulty with certain consonant sounds.
- Feeding therapy
The benefits of choosing an orofacial myology-trained Speech-language pathologists:
- More comprehensive care: They address not just the tongue tie itself, but also its wider impact on oral function and development.
- Improved outcomes: Their specialized knowledge and therapy techniques can lead to faster progress and better long-term results.
- Reduced need for additional interventions: Early intervention can prevent the need for further speech or feeding therapy down the line.
Remember: Tongue ties are no small matter. If you suspect your child has one, seeking help from a speech pathologist with orofacial myology expertise can make a world of difference. They can be your guide on the path to a healthier, happier smile, clearer speech, and improved feeding for your child.
Don’t let a tongue tie hold your child back. Contact Katy Speech and Language today to unlock their full potential!